MUJS 5470, Conducting College Jazz Ensembles
Each student will perform as a band member on a regular basis.
Each student will provide an acceptable substitute when conducting and/or when absent from class.
Each student will be required to write a critical review of three books from a reading list to be provided the first week of classes. Papers are due on Tuesday of "Pre-Finals Week."
Class attendance requirements will be in accordance with the written policy found in the current College of Music handbook.
1. Antrim, Doran K., Secrets of Dance Band Success, New York: Mills Music, Inc., 1936.
2. Baker, David N., Jazz Pedagogy: A comprehensive Method of Jazz Education for Teacher and Student. Chicago, IL: Maher Publications, 1979.
3. Ferguson, Tom and Sandy Feldstein, The Jazz Rock Ensemble: A Conductor's and Teacher's Guide. Port Washington, NY: Alfred Publishing Co., 1976.
4. Hall, M. E., Teacher's Guide to the High School Stage Band. Elkhart, IN: H. & A. Selmer, Inc., 1961.
5. Henry, Robert E., The Jazz Ensemble: A Guide to Technique. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1981.
6. Kusmich, John and Lee Bash, Complete Guide to Instrumental Jazz Instruction: Techniques for Developing a Successful School Jazz Program. West Nyack, NY: Parker Publishing Company, Inc., 1984.
7. LaPorta, John, Developing the School Jazz Ensemble: Director's manual. Boston, MA: Berklee Pres Publications, 1965.
8. Lawn, Richard, The Jazz Ensemble Director's Manual: A Handbook of Practice Methods and Materials for the Educator. Oskaloosa, IA: C. L. Barnhouse Co., 1981.
9. Leinsdorf, Erich, The Composer's Advocate: A Radical Orthodoxy for Musicians. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1981.
10. Mancini, Henry, Sounds and Scores. Northridge Music, Inc., 1962
11. Nestico, Sammy, The Complete Arranger. Fenwood Music Co., Inc. 1993.
12. Sturm, Fred, Changes Over Time: The Evolution of Jazz Arranging. Advance Music, 1995.
13. Wiskerchen, George, Developmental Techniques for the School Dance Band Musician. Boston, MA: Berklee Press Publications, 1961.
14. Wright, Rayburn, Inside the Score. Delevan, NY: Kendor Music, Inc., 1982.