UNT | University of North Texas

Search form

Main menu

3.11.12 Q: Why is MUHS 5450 no longer required?

A. Starting in Fall 2011, MUJS 5450, Jazz Historiography, will be deleted from the list of required courses for all tracks. In place of that, the elective hours will be increased from 3 to 6. This change was made in order to comply with National Association of Schools of Music requirements for a certain number of hours outside the major. The electives need to be 6 hours at the 5000-level in music but not in a jazz studies course, ensemble, small group, or private lesson. MUJS 5450 will not be offered in Spring 2012.

3.11.11 Q: What is the connection between MUJS 5470 Conducting College Jazz Ensembles in summer and Summer Lab Band?

A. If you take MUJS 5470 in the first five-week summer session, you are expected to play in summer Lab Band, but not required to register for it unless you need the credit. Why? In fall, there are enough students in 5470 to fill a band to practice conducting with. In summer, the summer lab band serves as the conducting lab for 5470.

3.11.10 Q: What is on the Jazz Studies in-house writing exam?

A. For this exam, students will be asked to read an excerpt from an article on a jazz topic in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal, then write in response to several prompts. The prompts will ask you to write about the author's main arguments and the evidence for the arguments, and to give your own thoughts on the arguments. The expected length will be around two single-spaced handwritten letter-size legal pad pages. The exam will last two hours. It will be graded on content and writing competence. No dictionaries or other reference tools may be used. The exam will be handwritten.

3.11.09 Q: What can I do to prepare for the aural skills part of the GPE?

A. You can use the GPE prep materials on the Blackboard system. Additionally: When you do the sight-singing on the GPE, you can use any system (solfege, numbers) or no system (singing on la), as long as it is accurate.

I think learning the interval directly, and by comparison to the major scale, instead of by comparison to familiar tunes, is quicker and better. You can do whatever works.

3.11.08 Q: What are the course numbers for ensemble holding sections?

A. Students should register for these sections of our large ensembles. After auditions, the section will be changed to the one that corresponds to the ensemble you are in.

Lab Band
graduate: MULB 5174.500
undergraduate (for second bachelor's students): MULB 1808.500

Jazz Singers
graduate: MULB 5174.522
undergraduate (for second bachelor's students): MULB 1820.500

3.11.03 Q: How do I fill out the degree plan form?

To do the degree plan:
1. download the form from http://music.unt.edu/advising/graduate.php
2. For Transcript deficiencies, enter all of the jazz courses that were listed in the letter you got that listed deficiencies. Next to each course, make a small notation about how you took care of it or will take care of it: passed by exam, passed by audition, taking the course, plan to take the course. In each case indicate the semester of the completed action or the future action. Abbreviate like this: F10, Sp11, Su11, etc.


Subscribe to Division of Jazz Studies RSS