UNT | University of North Texas

Search form

Main menu

3.08 Master's degree plan

Each student in the master's program must file a degree plan once he or she has earned 12 graduate hours towards the degree. You are invited to file it before then.

You'll need a copy of the letter or email that stated your jazz studies leveling courses assigned after the review of your transcript and the results of your GPE exams, which is in the gradebook of the GPE organization on Blackboard. If you don't have those documents, you can request copies from the Office of Graduate Studies. You'll also need to refer to your transcript.

3.07 Changing tracks in the M.M. in Jazz Studies

Students are admitted into one of the three tracks (Performance, Pedagogy, Composition). Students who want to change tracks need to check with the faculty supervisor to get permission. If the request is approved, the faculty supervisor needs to let the graduate advisor know about the change in writing. If the student has already filed a degree plan using the old track, a new degree plan needs to be filed using the requirements for the new track.

Performance: applied teacher
Pedagogy: Mike Steinel
Composition: Richard DeRosa

3.05 Scholarships

The Jazz Studies program awards performance and arranging scholarships on a competitive basis. For complete information on scholarships visit the Jazz Studies website and the College of Music website.

Graduate students who are receiving a scholarship are required to participate in a lab.

3.03 Jazz Studies as a related field

Master's and doctoral students who wish to study Jazz Studies as a related field must audition with a jazz studies faculty member before enrolling in courses. This is a catalog requirement.

In the audition, the student must meet the level of the degree that they are working towards. In other words, a master's student must meet the entering level of the M.M. in Jazz Studies, and a doctoral student must meet the entering level of the DMA in Performance with a major in Jazz Studies.

Jazz studies professors may have more specific requirements for this audition.

3.02 Graduate Recital Guidlines

Prerequisites and Eligibility
A degree recital is required of all candidates for the Master of Music in Jazz Studies degree. Once you have met the prequisites, you may enroll in MUJS 5535 with the permission of the professor who supervises your track. If you are in the performance track, this is your applied lesson professor. For the composition track, this is Richard DeRosa. For the pedagogy track, this is Mike Steinel.

2.13.4 Upper Divisions Examination for Vocal Jazz

Jazz Studies Major – (Voice) Upper Division Examination (UDE)
(effective Spring 2013)

All undergraduate Jazz Studies (Voice) majors and concentrations must pass the Upper Divisional Exam (UDE) before advancing to the 3000 level of voice study. The UDE assessment takes place during finals week no later than the fourth semester of study. Transfer students may be assessed in an earlier semester at the discretion of their teachers, but not earlier than the fourth semester of study overall and not later than their fourth semester at UNT.


Subscribe to Division of Jazz Studies RSS