July 12, 2020 to July 17, 2020
Instructors: Davy Mooney
Registration will open on December 2, 2019 at https://app.getacceptd.com/untmusicworkshops.
Remaining Spots as of 10: 28 a.m. on Friday, February 14, 2020: 12
Dr. Davy Mooney is a world-renowned jazz guitarist and educator who records for Sunnyside Records and is a Benedetto Artist, and also a D'Addario artist. He brings his deep knowledge of the jazz guitar tradition, broadly defined, to the Jazz Guitar Workshop. The workshop focuses on the jazz guitar idiom, but students with backgrounds in other styles who have an interest in broadening their knowledge of jazz guitar are also welcome to attend. There is limited space in the workshop, and the spots are first-come/first-served, so register today to secure your place! First ten applicants get a D'Addario welcome pack!
Topics to be covered include:
- Fretboard knowledge and jazz guitar technique
- Jazz guitar vocabulary
- Chord melody
- Small group playing with a rhythm section
- Jazz guitar history
- Listening to recordings
- Guitar duos and trios
The Davy Mooney Jazz Guitar Workshop offers an intensive week of study and performance for aspiring jazz guitarists. Classes include fretboard knowledge, jazz guitar technique, jazz guitar vocabulary, chord melody, and many other topics relevant to the jazz guitar practice. Participants will have the opportunity to perform with a rhythm section, as well as in duos and trios, and be coached by faculty. Outstanding faculty concerts will be presented throughout the week. The workshop begins with registration early Monday morning and concludes with the Friday evening concert where ALL participants will perform. The Davy Mooney Jazz Guitar Workshop is open to advanced high school (14+), college, professional, and serious amateur guitarists.
DAVY MOONEY JAZZ GUITAR WORKSHOP TYPICAL SCHEDULE
Out of town participants arrive Sunday evening and check into housing.
Monday will start with registration 9-10 AM in the jazz office # 284.
The days are typically as follows:
- 9:30 - 11:00 Jazz guitar technique and vocabulary
- 11:15 - 12:00 Listening Session
- 12:00 - 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 - 3:30 Participants take turns playing with a rhythm section and receive coaching.
- 3:40- 4:00 Technique review and questions
- 4:00 - 5:00 Guitar duos and trios
- 5:00 - 7:30 Practice time and Dinner
- 7:30 Faculty Concert
FRIDAY NIGHT WILL FINISH WITH A CONCERT AT 7:30 PM WHERE ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL PERFORM. FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE INVITED! Most people from out of town check into the dorm on Sunday night and check out Friday morning. You can store your luggage in the workshop room until after the final concert. If you want to stay Sunday AND the following Friday night, check the extra day on the registration form. Enrollment will be limited to 15 participants. Once that number of completed registrations with full payment is reached, no new applications can be started. Applicants who are at the in-progress stage because full payment has not been made constitute the waiting list. As spots open up, waiting list participants will be contacted in the order of their date of registration.
Out of town participants arrive on Sunday, July 12, 2020 and check out Friday morning, July 17, 2020. You can store your luggage in the workshop room until the after the final concert on Friday. If you want to depart on Saturday and need to stay the night of Friday, July 17, 2020, check the option for an extra day of lodging and, if desired, meals. Monday will start with registration from 9-10 a.m. in the Jazz Studies office, room 284 of the Music Building.
You can learn more about Davy Mooney at www.davymooney.net
- Tuition: $595
- Meals: $120 for 15 meal plan
- No option for additional meals. Those who require extra nights lodging can pay cash at dining hall or go off campus (under 18 with supervision)
- Double room (shared bath): $155 for 5 nights, $32 additional nights each
- Single room (shared bath): $185 for 5 nights, $38 additional nights each
- Under-18 supervision fee: $35
- Parking on campus: $10
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Refunds, less the processing fee determined by Acceptd and the credit card processor, will be made up to one month before the workshop (June 15).
- Between one month before the workshop (June 15) and two weeks before the workshop (June 29), refunds will be made less a $200 fee and the processing fee.
- After June 29, 2020, no refunds will be made.
- No refunds will be made if a participant is dismissed from the workshop for violating UNT policy or workshop rules explained on the first day of the workshop.
- The reason for these policies and deadlines is that the number of staff who must be hired and trained varies according to the expected enrollment, which is determined by the number of participants who commit to the registration process.
If you have questions about camp content, please contact: