The 19th Annual Lynn Seaton Jazz Double Bass Workshop at The University of North Texas will be June 17-21, 2019.
Registration will open on December 1, 2018 at https://app.getacceptd.com/untmusicworkshops.
Prof. Lynn Seaton has established himself as one of the leading performers and teachers of jazz bass in the world today. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to his Annual Jazz Double Bass Workshop. This intimate workshop is limited to 15 upright bass players. (The UNT Combo Workshop accepts electric and upright bass players.) These spots are first-come/first-served, and thus your spot is not fully secured until you have made your Final Payment and completed registration.
Remaining spots: 11 spots as of Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.
You can learn more about Professor Seaton on his website www.lynnseaton.com .
Topics to be covered include:
- Upright technique
- Developing walking bass lines
- Small group playing with a rhythm section
- Jazz Bass History
- Listening to Recordings
- Bass Ensembles
The Lynn Seaton Jazz Double Bass Workshop will offer an intensive week of study and performance opportunities for the jazz upright bassist. Classes include bass line development bass ensembles, and daily sessions on technique. Also, participants will have an opportunity to perform with a rhythm section and be coached. Outstanding faculty concerts will be presented throughout the week. It starts with registration early Monday morning and concludes with the Friday evening Bass Bash concert where ALL the participants will perform. The Lynn Seaton Jazz Double Bass Workshop is open to advanced high school (14+), college, professional, and serious amateur bassists.
If you are new to the double bass, please consider attending Professor Bradetich's beginner or intermediate workshop. Here is the link: Annual Bradetich Beginners and Intermediate Bass Camp.
Registration & Fees
- Tuition $595
- Double room (shared bath) $155 for 5 nights, $32 additional nights each
- Single room (shared bath) $185 for 5 nights, $38 additional nights each
- Meals $120 for 15 meal plan
- No option for additional meals. Those who require extra nights lodging can pay cash at dining hall or go off campus (under 18 with supervision)
- Parking on campus: $10
- Under-18 supervision fee $35
- Acceptd.com application fee $20
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Refunds, less the processing fee determined by acceptd.com and the credit card processor, Stripe, can be made up to one month before the workshop (May 21).
- Between one month before the workshop (May 17) and two weeks before the workshop (June 3), refunds will be made less a $200 fee and the processing fee.
- After June 3, 2018, no refunds will be made.
- No refunds will be made if a participant is dismissed from the workshop for violating UNT policy or workshop rules explained on the first day of the workshop.
- The reason for these policies and deadlines is that the number of staff who must be hired and trained varies according to the expected enrollment, which is determined by the number of participants who commit to the registration process.
- Enrollment will be limited to 15 participants. Once that number of completed registrations with full payment is reached, no new applications can be started. Applicants who are at the in-progress stage because full payment has not been made constitute the waiting list. As spots open up, waiting list participants will be contacted in the order of their date of registration.
For further information about workshop registration, contact the Jazz Studies office at email@example.com or (940) 565-3743.
For further information about the workshop content, contact Lynn Seaton, (940) 369-7639; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LYNN SEATON JAZZ DOUBLE BASS WORKSHOP TYPICAL SCHEDULE
Out of town participants arrive Sunday evening and check into housing.
Monday will start with registration 9-10 AM in the jazz office # 284.
The days are typically as follows:
- 9:30 - 11:00 Technique
- 11:15 - 12:00 Listening Session
- 12:00 - 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 - 3:30 Rhythm Section Participants take turns playing with a rhythm section and receive coaching.
- 3:40- 4:00 Technique Review
- 4:00 - 5:00 Bass Ensembles
- 5:00 - 7:30 Practice time and Dinner
- 7:30 Faculty Concert
FRIDAY NIGHT WILL FINISH WITH A BASS BASH CONCERT AT 7:30 PM WHERE ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL PERFORM IN BASS ENSEMBLES. FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE INVITED! Most people from out of town check into the dorm on Sunday night and check out Friday morning. You can store your luggage in the workshop room until after the final concert. If you want to stay Sunday AND the following Friday night, check the extra day on the registration form.