PLEASE NOTE: INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF 7/21/21.
New AND returning students, please be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) all the way to the very end, as most if not all of your questions can be answered there.
Instrumentalists interested in playing in the vocal jazz ensemble rhythm sections should indicate that on their instrumental audition forms.
Auditions for placement in Vocal Jazz and/or Jazz Chamber Music Ensembles will take place on the following days/times:
Thursday, August 19 between 11 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday, August 20 between 11 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
CALLBACK FOR SELECT VOCALISTS: Friday, August 20 from 4 – 5 p.m.
Sign up online for your audition time here:
Auditions for Lab Band Vocalist chairs are open to jazz majors only, and Round One will take place on Saturday, August 21 via Zoom. More information and a link to sign up for an audition can be found on the Canvas page for the voice area of the Jazz Division.
Will vocal jazz ensemble & JCM auditions be in-person or remote?
Auditions will be performed live in person in MU 263 (Lab East).
I'm not a Jazz Studies major, or even a music major - can I still audition for one of the vocal jazz ensembles?
Auditions for all vocal jazz ensembles are open to any currently enrolled UNT student regardless of major.
I work on Fridays, so I won't be available for the callback. Can you just put me in a group anyway?
All vocalists won’t be required to attend the callback to be placed in a group. We will do our best to let everyone know whether they will or will not need to be there as soon as possible; in some cases, we can let you know at the conclusion of your audition (especially if you audition on Thursday!), but some may not be notified until as late as Friday at 3:15 p.m. that they need to be there at 4 p.m., so you should definitely plan on being available. If there is a legitimate reason why that's impossible for you, we will expect that you'll contact us well in advance to discuss your situation.
What will I have to do in my individual audition?
• Sing short versions of two contrasting tempo songs (any style is o.k., but jazz is preferred; one ballad and one medium or up-tempo). For the ballad, please prepare to sing ONCE through the form only; for the medium or fast song, a maximum of twice through the form (including improvisation) so plan accordingly! If you want to improvise wordlessly (optional), you can either sing the melody once through the form, then take an improv chorus and stop, OR you may sing once thru, improvise for half a chorus and sing the second half with melody/lyrics. Please no lengthy forms, complex arrangements, or instrumental solos due to time constraints. Jazz Majors registered for JCM will choose their medium/up-tempo tune from the options on the JCM Vocalist Audition rubric page, and should read the information on that page carefully to assist in preparing well!
• Vocalize throughout your entire range
• A brief “ear test”
• Perform a short excerpt of music that will be sent to you not less than 24 hours prior to your audition time that you learn on your own. We will provide tools to help you with your preparation, including an audio track of your part.
What about accompaniment?
You may sing a cappella, accompany yourself, bring a pianist or guitarist to accompany you (acoustic only please – we don’t have time for setting up amps), or use a backing track (like the iRealPro app).
When do the vocal jazz ensembles rehearse?
(Please note that times and spaces have changed from prior semester rehearsal times and locations!)
UNT Jazz Singers:
Mondays from 12 – 12:50 p.m. (Rm. 262)
Tu/Th from 12:30 to 1:50 p.m. (263)
Fridays from 1:00 – 1:50 p.m. (282 - Lab West)
M/W from 12:00 – 12:50 p.m. (263)
Fridays from 12 – 1:50 p.m. (263)
Third Street: M/W from 5:00 – 6:40 p.m. (263)
West End: T/Th from 5:00 – 6:40 p.m. (263)
When will I find out if I made a group, and how do I register?
Results will be posted here on this page on Saturday, August 21, but as soon as you sign up for an audition time, you should immediately register for MULB 1820, Section 500 (holding section for VJ ensembles), which guarantees that you will have paid for the ensemble, then we will move you to the proper section or you will drop the class if necessary.
Do I have to be registered for this class to sing in an ensemble?
Anyone who is placed in an ensemble MUST be registered.
When do the ensembles start rehearsals?
Rehearsals begin on Monday, August 23 (the first day of classes).
Are there any required dates during the fall semester that I can find out about in advance?
Yes. These dates are firm so far, and more will be added:
- Jazz Singers Fall Retreat Day is Saturday, September 11. All members of the ensemble must be available the entire day/evening.
- Jazz Singers, Avenue C & Third Street will be involved in Denton Arts & Jazz Festival on the weekend of October 1, 2, and 3. Schedule hasn’t been announced yet, so for now, anyone who’ll be auditioning should plan to be in town and available that weekend.
- Friday, November 12 is the Vocal Jazz Ensemble Fall Extravaganza – a concert event for all four ensembles in Voertman Hall. Everyone should plan to block the ENTIRE DAY/EVENING until a more detailed schedule is available.
- The Jazz Education Network Conference is happening in Dallas this year, and Jazz Singers is performing on Friday, January 7, but should plan to be in town and attending the whole conference, which runs from Wednesday, Jan. 5 through Saturday, Jan. 8.