PLEASE NOTE: INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF 9/20/21.
Please be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) all the way to the very end, as most if not all of your questions can be answered there.
Instrumentalists interested in playing in the vocal jazz ensemble rhythm sections should indicate that on their instrumental audition forms.
Auditions for placement in Vocal Jazz and/or Jazz Chamber Music Ensembles for the Spring 2022 semester will take place on the following day/time:
Saturday, January 15 between 10 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Auditions will NOT be required for students who were placed in Jazz Singers in Fall 2021. The directors of Avenue C, Third Street and West End reserve the right to request that a student re-audition, but as a rule, if a student was placed in those ensembles and wishes to continue in that same ensemble, they will not be required to re-audition.
[Please come back to this page to sign up online for your audition time in December, when a link will be updated here:]
Auditions for Lab Band Vocalist chairs are open to jazz majors only, and Round One will take place on Saturday, January 15 between 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. More information and a link to sign up for an audition can be found on the Canvas page for the voice area of the Jazz Division.
Will vocal jazz ensemble & JCM auditions be in-person or remote?
Auditions will be performed live in person in MU 263 (Lab East).
I'm not a Jazz Studies major, or even a music major - can I still audition for one of the vocal jazz ensembles?
Auditions for all vocal jazz ensembles are open to any currently enrolled UNT student regardless of major.
What will I have to do in my individual audition?
• If you’re auditioning for vocal jazz ensembles ONLY, you’ll sing short versions of two contrasting tempo songs (any style is o.k., but jazz is preferred; one ballad and one medium or up-tempo). For the ballad, please prepare to sing ONCE through the form only; for the medium or fast song, a maximum of twice through the form (including improvisation) so plan accordingly! If you want to improvise wordlessly (optional), you can either sing the melody once through the form, then take an improv chorus and stop, OR you may sing once thru, improvise for half a chorus and sing the second half with melody/lyrics. Please no lengthy forms, complex arrangements, or instrumental solos due to time constraints.
• If you’re auditioning for BOTH vocal jazz ensembles and JCM, you’ll prepare two songs (as above), but you’ll choose your medium/up-tempo tune from the options on the JCM Vocalist Audition rubric page, and should read the information on that page carefully to assist in preparing well! Note that you may not self-accompany on the JCM song you choose – you must sing with an accompanist or track.
• If you’re auditioning for JCM only, then you will only prepare one medium/up-tempo tune from the options on the JCM Vocalist Audition rubric page, and should read the information on that page carefully to assist in preparing well! Note that you may not self-accompany on the JCM song you choose – you must sing with an accompanist or track.
• Vocalize throughout your entire range
• A brief “ear test”
• Perform a short excerpt of music that will be sent to you not less than 24 hours prior to your audition time that you learn on your own. We will provide tools to help you with your preparation, including an audio track of your part.
What about accompaniment?
You may sing a cappella, accompany yourself, bring a pianist or guitarist to accompany you (acoustic only please – we don’t have time for setting up amps), or use a backing track (like the iRealPro app). If you want to sing with a track, please bring a portable Bluetooth speaker of your own to play your track – we won’t have the ability to plug into a sound system in the room (sorry!).
When do the vocal jazz ensembles rehearse?
UNT Jazz Singers:
Mondays from 12 – 12:50 p.m. (Rm. 262)
Tu/Th from 12:30 to 1:50 p.m. (Rm. 263 – Lab East)
Fridays from 1:00 – 1:50 p.m. (282 - Lab West)
M/W from 12:00 – 12:50 p.m. (Rm. 263 – Lab East)
Fridays from 12 – 1:50 p.m. (263)
Third Street: M/W from 5:00 – 6:40 p.m. (Rm. 263 – Lab East)
West End: T/Th from 5:00 – 6:40 p.m. (Rm. 263 – Lab East)
When will I find out if I made a group, and how do I register?
Results will be posted here on this page on Sunday, January 16, but as soon as you sign up for an audition time, you should immediately register for MULB 1820, Section 500 (holding section for VJ ensembles), which guarantees that you will have paid for the ensemble, then we will move you to the proper section or you will drop the class if necessary.
Do I have to be registered for this class to sing in an ensemble?
Anyone who is placed in an ensemble MUST be registered.
When do the ensembles start rehearsals?
Rehearsals begin on Tuesday, January 18 (the first day of classes).
Are there any required dates during the spring semester that I can find out about in advance?
Not yet, but they’ll be added in December.