PLEASE NOTE: INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF SATURDAY, 8/19/23 at 3:00 p.m.
A sincere thank you to all who auditioned. Based on what we heard during the audition process, we are very excited about the music that will be made by each of these ensembles! We are sorry to say that due to size restrictions and other factors involved, we were unable to find a place for all the singers who auditioned, but if you were not placed, we strongly encourage you to consider enrolling in MUJS 4890 (Topics in Jazz Studies – Jazz Voice, meeting T/Th 2-2:50 p.m.) and continue your jazz singing journey through that class instead, then re-audition for us in the future! Auditions will be held again for next semester’s ensembles prior to the first day of classes (in January), so check back here in December for more detailed info and to sign up.
NOTE: If you were NOT registered for the ensemble holding section (MULB 1820, Section 500), please do so IMMEDIATELY! The Jazz Division Administrative Assistant will be moving students from the holding section to their actual ensembles starting immediately, so the sooner, the better, and you’ll avoid getting harassed!
Please attend the first scheduled rehearsals in Room 263 on either Tuesday, August 22 (Jazz Singers at 12:30 p.m.; Avenue C at 2 p.m.), or Wednesday, August 23 (West End at 5 p.m.; Third Street at 7 p.m.). If you did NOT yet add the mandatory attendance/participation dates to your calendar from the audition info page, please scroll to the bottom and do that now – the list is there!
Congratulations to all new and returning members of (listed alphabetically):
UNT JAZZ SINGERS (Jennifer Barnes, Director), rehearsing M 12 – 12:50 p.m. (Rm. 292), Tu/Th 12:30 – 1:50 (Rm. 263), F 1 – 1:50 (Rm. 258):
AVENUE C (Julie Coggiola, Director), rehearsing Tu/Th 2 – 3:50 p.m. (Rm. 263):
THIRD STREET (Katelyn Robinson, Director), rehearsing M/W 7 – 7:50 p.m., F 12 – 1:50 p.m. (Rm. 263):
WEST END (Lily Alter, Director; Parker Haley, Asst. Director), rehearsing M/W 5 – 6:50 p.m. (Rm. 263):
MANDATORY EVENTS/CONCERT DATES (more may be added, but these should be placed on your calendar NOW):
- Fall Ensemble Retreats:
- Jazz Singers will retreat on Saturday, September 9, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Avenue C, Third Street, and West End will retreat on Saturday, September 16, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Jazz Singers perform in the College of Music Greenlaw Salon Concert: Sunday, Sept. 10 (Call time TBD, 3 p.m. performance)
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival: All groups will perform on Sunday, October 8, 1 - 4 p.m.
- The Syndicate Friday “Nooners” (11 a.m. call, 12 – 12:50 p.m. performance):
- Jazz Singers: October 6
- Avenue C: October 13
- Third Street: October 20
- West End: October 27
- The Syndicate evening performance: All groups will perform on Tuesday, October 24 (7 p.m. call, 9 - 11:30 p.m. performance)
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble Fall Extravaganza: Friday, November 10 is the fall concert event for all four ensembles in Voertman Hall. Everyone should plan to block the ENTIRE DAY/EVENING until a more detailed schedule is available.