To join our e-mail list and choose what to be notified about specifically, click here!
Degrees: Jazz Vocal Performance is a degree path at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral (DMA) levels. Within the undergraduate and graduate degree programs, students are involved in private applied lessons, small ensemble performing and recording experiences, recitals, vocal jazz forum, and vocal jazz ensembles.
Program of Study
In both the Bachelor and Master of Music Jazz Studies degrees, singers study and experience both the traditions and modern practices of vocal jazz performance (in both solo and ensemble settings), songwriting, vocal pedagogy, jazz aural and keyboard skills, jazz theory and arranging, as well as courses in jazz history. In addition to jazz courses and ensembles, undergraduates must satisfy College of Music and University Core requirements.
There are a plethora of ensemble experiences available to jazz voice majors at UNT. There are seven lab bands (big bands) that each have a solo vocalist, Jazz Chamber Music ensembles that are combos of approximately 5 - 7 instrumental musicians with one vocalist, Latin Jazz Lab Band, Brazilian ensemble, Zebras (pop/R & B/soul ensemble with multiple vocalists, horns, and a rhythm section), and more! In addition, participation in one of the four vocal jazz ensembles (UNT Jazz Singers, Avenue C, Third Street/Aurora and West End) is required each semester for undergraduate jazz voice majors, and two semesters for graduate jazz voice majors. For more information visit the Vocal Jazz Ensemble audition page.
UNT Jazz Singers performing in NYC at Symphony Space, April 2019
• Undergraduate vocal jazz students study jazz voice with one of the outstanding Graduate Teaching Fellows during their first four semesters of applied study. Following a successful Upper Division Examination (UDE), students study with one of the senior faculty members (Prof. Rosana Eckert or Prof. Jennifer Barnes).
• Graduate students pursuing the Master of Music in Jazz Studies have four semesters of vocal jazz applied study.
Vocal Jazz Forum
Vocal Jazz Forum takes place each Friday afternoon at 3 PM in Lab West (Room 282) in the fall and spring semesters, featuring two jazz voice majors with instrumental accompaniment sharing the 60-minute performance, as well as specialized topics of interest. All vocal jazz majors are required to attend.
- For vocal jazz ensemble information, click here.
- For UNT Vocal Jazz Summer Workshop (held each June at UNT) information, click here.
- For UNT Vocal Jazz Educator Seminar (held each June at UNT) information, click here.
- For Jennifer Barnes' bio and contact information, click here.
- To join our email list and choose what interests you specifically so you ONLY receive that information, click here.