The inaugural UNT International Jazz Strings Workshop will be July 6-10, 2021 in an ONLINE-ONLY format.
Registration is at https://app.getacceptd.com/untmusicworkshops.
One of his generation’s extraordinary talents, Prof. Scott Tixier has made a name for himself as a violinist-composer of wide-ranging ambition, individuality and drive — “the future of jazz violin” in the words of Downbeat Magazine and “a remarkable improviser and a cunning jazz composer” in those of NPR.
Prof. Tixier has brought his annual workshop instruction to an online format at the University of North Texas. This workshop is limited to 30 string players of orchestral instruments other than upright bass. For upright bass players, please see the Lynn Seaton Double Bass Workshop. These spots are first-come/first-served, and thus your spot is not fully secured until you have made your Final Payment and completed registration.
Remaining spots as of January 05, 2021: 30
You can learn more about Professor Tixier on his website http://www.scott-tixier.com/.
Open to all levels. Each day will be covering a different topic to provide the basics of improvisation on orchestral string instruments other than double bass. Includes jazz vocabulary, phrasing, ear training, bow articulations, and left-hand techniques, and solo development, as well as discussions of live performance amplification and EQ. Build your repertoire by exploring jazz standards.
THE WORKSHOP INCLUDES:
- A copy of Scott Tixier's book (Source Material for Jazz String Improvisation)
- 5 morning virtual 2-hour lectures
- 5 afternoon virtual 2-hour group masterclasses
Registration & Fees
- Tuition $500
- Acceptd.com application fee $20
- Access to the Zoom online meeting platform is required for this workshop.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Refunds, less the processing fee determined by getacceptd.com and the credit card processor, Stripe, can be made up to one month before the workshop (June 6).
- Between one month before the workshop (June 6) and two weeks before the workshop (June 22), refunds will be made less a $200 fee and the processing fee.
- After June 22, 2020, no refunds will be made.
- No refunds will be made if a participant is dismissed from the workshop for violating UNT policy or workshop rules explained on the first day of the workshop.
- The reason for these policies and deadlines is that the number of staff who must be hired and trained varies according to the expected enrollment, which is determined by the number of participants who commit to the registration process.
- Enrollment will be limited to 30 participants. Once that number of completed registrations with full payment is reached, no new applications can be started. Applicants who are at the in-progress stage because full payment has not been made constitute the waiting list. As spots open up, waiting list participants will be contacted in the order of their date of registration.
For further information about workshop registration, contact the Jazz Studies office at email@example.com or (940) 565-3743.
For further information about the workshop content, contact Scott Tixier's email: firstname.lastname@example.org